Monday, April 20, 2009

Monsters vs. Aliens: a Queer Feminist Thumbs Up

It seems that the more I learn, the less I can enjoy a good old-fashioned kids movie. The Disney films that I grew up loving are lost to me--they promote images and values that I cannot stand behind. Whether they are anti-gay, sexist or racist, I have a very hard time finding anything to watch.

But... then there was Monsters v. Aliens. I liked as a woman, a feminist, a queer, and won't stand for racism. Of course, it wasn't perfect--but it was very close to it. I enjoyed the transgressions of gender and sexual orientation; either real or implied. I loved that the character who thought he had a relationship with a man wasn't shamed for it--the act of two men having a relationship wasn't shamed. I liked the gender bending "butterfly." I liked that the women in the story learns to be independent and kicks butt.

It is a movie that I would feel good about taking my kids to see. And, I never feel that way. My heartfelt recommendation goes out to it!




P.S. If anyone wants to check out The Princess and the Frog I suggest they talk to Bintou about it first. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment