Friday, April 16, 2010

Look What I Found On T.V.

So as I was channel-surfing last weekend I came across a little show on VH1. Normally this channel is beyond my surfing range mainly because it's in the 70's and I don't go above 69. But I decided to venture beyond the safe channels I'm so used to, and I'm glad I did.

The show is called "TRANSform Me". It's basically "Queer Eye, for the Straight Guy", but with Transwomen helping women. I have to say I was a little excited to see it, and I watched the episode. It's a relatively short program, only 30 minutes.

The cast members are all transwomen. Two of the three are women of color. This show is a little gift and while I'm not a fan of make-over shows, I think I'll be watching this one. If for nothing else than to show support for my community out there making a living, even on T.V.

I was talking about this with one of my friends, earlier this week and she made an interesting point. Though it's great news that this show exists (Yeah, for the trans!), it follows a stereotype trend started by "Queer Eye". Let's face it you'll never see a show with lesbians giving make-overs.

Still, I'm a fan and I approve of the idea of the show: Transwomen are just as capable of being fashionable and glamourous as any gay man or cis-woman.

If you want to check it out here is the show's website:

http://www.vh1.com/shows/transform_me/series.jhtml

No comments:

Post a Comment