Friday, February 25, 2011

Us for the Cause, A Cause for Us.

As one of the worst weeks of my college life comes to an end, I’m left confused, upset, exhausted, and dehydrated from the amount of tears that have come out of my hazel eyes. I forgot this type of pain… The type of pain that only comes from when someone you love rips your heart out and tears it into a million pieces.

I’ve spent the last 48 hours studying for a midterm that I had at 8 AM this morning and crying constantly. I’ve eaten only one hot pocket in 24 hours and slept 2 hours of the past 36 hours. I’m mentally and physically exhausted. All I want to do is drive as fast as I can back to my hometown and run into the arms of my mother, father, and best friend, Chelsea. They’re the only people that will make me feel better.

In the middle of it all I read about Obama's big news of the week. This is a huge step for our movement. I’m trying to be excited, I really am.

And then I checked me email..

I thought of leaving right after my last class on Thursday, but then I read Shane’s email about our two guests speakers coming to class tomorrow. No matter how upset I am the thought of getting to meet John Corvino and speak with him about an issue that is so deeply important to me outweighs the hurt I’m feeling right now.

I want to be with my Peers for Priders focusing on something that’s so much bigger than all of us. Tomorrow will be a great learning experience for all of us and I can’t wait to be in a room full of people that love me, support me, and will always be there for me. No matter what is going on in our lives, a test that we just failed, a lover that isn’t so loving, a friend that isn’t so friendly, we can forget about everything and focus on something that is bigger than us. A cause that is so deeply embedded in us, we don’t only live for it; it now helps us live.

So put on your activism caps, it’s time for Peers for Pride!

No comments:

Post a Comment