Monday, May 2, 2011

I wish...

I wish for things to be better.
I wish for our culture to be excitedly inclusive and varied.
I wish for our culture to be less judgmental (my boyfriend and I decided people have the most opinions on two things: other people and music).
I wish for the drive for equality to be a restless entity in all people.
I wish for people to see that we are all one, not a people separated by borders, colors, and creeds.
I wish for people to care for more things than what affects them directly.
I wish for our society to break free from the detrimental traditions that keep us from progressing.
I wish for religion to be a personal journey instead of a collective vessel for social control and condemnation.
I wish for more apologies and more forgiveness.
I wish for every person to live in the comfort of their own skin, even if it takes time and is difficult and scary.
I wish for everyone to have someone to love and cherish them so they only have positivity to project back into the world.
I wish for us to celebrate all of our little victories and believe that we are moving in the right direction, even if it sometimes feels like we're moving backwards.

Dan Kitwood/Getty Images

April 11th, 2011: Hundreds stage gay kiss-in outside pub accused of homophobia.
April 13, 2011: Kobe Bryant calls HRC to apologize for using an anti-gay slur. He expresses understanding and regret for how his words were hurtful and could be used by some to discriminate.
May 2, 2011: J.Crew includes their designer with his boyfriend in their catalog ( shortly after a firestorm over pink toenails). The caption reads: Happy Together.

Robyn Beck/AFP/Getty Images

March 18, 2011: An ABC/Washington Post poll found that the majority (53%) of Americans think gay marriage should be legal.
April 7, 2011: A Chicago jail adds a transgender policy that will allow inmates to be housed according to their gender identity instead of their birth gender.
April 14, 2011: In Western Pennsylvania, a Planned Parenthood offers transgender hours (because many are afraid of seeking medical care).
Feb. 11, 2001: The president of a new Asian airline welcomes four transgender flight attendants to his 30-person fleet.
April 28, 2011: Marines get trained on accepting gay recruits.

I know there is a lot of work to be done; however, on some days it's nice to bask in the positive of what has been done.











No comments:

Post a Comment