Thursday, January 31, 2013

Give the world a reason to dance; create something that will make the world awesome.

"I think we all need a pep talk."


This message brought to you by a precocious kid president, a kid who understands the world better than most grown ups. Through fresh eyes, with an optimistic view of the future, with a genuine hope of the wonderful things that people can do if they only believe in their dreams and work cooperatively toward a better future.

I saw this video a few days ago and have watched it many times since. A few days ago, what I needed more than anything in the world was a good pep talk -- something to help me feel validated and motivated. And this video does it. I don't know who wrote this pep talk, but I don't care. What I care about is the hope it inspires in me and others, judging by it's nearly 6 million views in 3 days.

Children really give me hope for the future. Whereas many adults can be cynical and my college-age peers may be disinterested or apathetic, children have an optimism about the goodness of the world and its unlimited potential to make it awesome and achieve their dreams. It's easy to sit back and "be boring," to let hate fester in the world, especially when you aren't a target of that hate. But that's not what life is about.

"You've got air coming through your nose, you've got a heartbeat. That means it's time to do something." It's time to strive for something better. A socially just world, in which people are free to love who they love, find acceptance, and express themselves freely. A world deserving of Kid President. It's time to have the difficult conversations, to change hearts and minds and create a culture of love and acceptance.

And for me, that is what being a peer for pride is about.


"What will be your Space Jam? What will you create when you make the world awesome?"
I hope a brave new world where we all can openly love ourselves will be my Space Jam. I want to make the world awesome by giving someone a reason to dance every day.



"We can make every day better for each other. If we're all on the same team, let's start acting like it. We've got work to do."









No comments:

Post a Comment