Saturday, March 28, 2009

What [Else] Would You Do?

I thought this was interesting for many reasons.  It raises a lot of questions.  I worried that it wouldn't go well, but it seems more positive than I thought.  Still, I wonder what would happen in different situations.  What would have happened if they did the stunt with a feminine lesbian couple?  How about a couple of butch lesbians?  A couple of bears (large hairy gay men)?What if they had done it in a more southern state? 
I know, I'm criticizing something that is supposed to be helping the fight by getting the issue out there, but is it helping?  Is that even part of the motive or is it just for ratings?  I mean the host didn't even brush up on his what-is-offensive vocabulary.  What is a gay lifestyle anyway?  I don't think I have one.  I work a lot, go to school a lot, and don't get to see my boyfriend enough.  Not so glamorous.  Thanks John.  
Let's have some positivity, though, right?  I hate complaining and here I am doing it.  How 'bout them allies?  Weren't they great?  That's exactly what it means to be an ally; they stood up when they didn't have to.  I wish I were such a strong ally for other groups; it takes a lot of guts to call someone out.  I guess that's all I'll say about it for now.  I'm sure there are many other things that need to be said...

ejo

No comments:

Post a Comment