Sunday, May 1, 2011

Congratulations Chris Colfer!

I want to end this final blog post on a happy note. Besides the fact that I have 4 tests and 4 different papers due in the next two weeks, I want to think about happy visions and things to come right now. So when I want to go to my happy place, I just watch the TV show Glee. It just makes me feel better in all aspects. I understand that real public school isn't like that, but I wouldn't know because I went to a private school; if I went to a public school, I would want to be at McKinley. That would be like the perfect life. I wouldn't really care if people threw slushies in my face; I like Red Dye #5. I love the idea of having friends as loyal as the ones on Glee. And I feel as if Peers for Pride allowed me to make those type of friends. I love that :)

At any rate! Chris Colfer, the awesome openly gay identified "high school student"/actor. He's gotten a lot attention. Seriously, like 2010 SAC Award, 2010 Teen Choice Award, and 2011 Golden Globe Award at the age of 20 years old. Now, he was named Time Magazine's Top 100 people on the same list as President and Mrs. Obama. What an honor and a privilege for this young person, who like myself and my friends, are advocating for the LGBTQ community in any way that's possible. He advocates through his work on Glee, showing younger people that struggling with orientation that they are human and will, in time, find people who love, respect, and care for them. He is an amazing actor and an amazing individual with the ability to send a positive message to the younger Glee fans about self-love and self-respect. I am very proud to be a Gleek, to be represented as a younger LGBT identified individual within the Time Top 100, and to be myself, as a person, as an activist, as an (almost!) graduate of the university.

I've learned so much about myself within the last year, some things were eye opening, some were triggering. The best experiences were welcomed and so were the worst because it was all a growing experience. I'm proud to have grown in knowledge and wisdom, which I hope to take to wherever I will be employed next. We will see what the future holds and I'm feeling pretty good about it now.

Time Magazine's Top 100: Chris Colfer

No comments:

Post a Comment